Job Role Description
We are currently working alongside Oakleaf Medical Practice, to recruit a Practice Receptionist. This role will provide you with the opportunity to earn, learn and kick-start your career within an administration role.
During this role you'll also be gaining skills, knowledge and experience towards completing a Business Administrator Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard.
Full training for this role will be provided by GFT as your Training Provider, as well as your employer.
About The Employer
Oakleaf medical practice is a medical surgery that has been open since 2009, the surgery serves the Washwood heath, alum rock, Saltley, Hodge Hill and surrounding areas. The surgery operates seven days a week.
The practice receptionist will work as part of the primary healthcare team with other staff and report to the Practice Manager/Assistant Practice Manager.
You'll be liaising with:
- Patients and visitors to the practice
- Members of the reception & primary care team
- Primary Care Trust
- Local hospitals
Duties will include:
• To meet and greet patients, members of the public and visitors to the practice in a friendly and courteous manner
• To direct patients as needed.
• Make appointments for patients, doctors, nurses and other members of the primary health care team on the computer
• Complete surgery lists and extract patient notes when required.
• Filing and scanning of medical notes, letters, test results and other correspondence
Register new patients on the computer system – liase with Data Manager
• Opening and distribution of post
• Operate repeat prescription system as directed
• Understand the usage of the practice email and intranet system
• Assist in the closing and securing of the building at the end of the working day
• Participation when requested, in the delivery and collection of items to and from other surgeries, Primary Care Trust, Hospitals or any other place on practice business
• Comply with all in house and statutory Health & Safety procedures
• Attend practice meetings when required
• Attend training courses in house and externally to develop expertise and further knowledge
• Any duty that may be properly deemed by the Reception Manager or Doctors to be part of the role of receptionist
• It is important that all members of staff are prepared to take on additional duties or relinquish existing duties in order to maintain efficient running of the practice.
• The Practice Manager and Doctors reserve the right to re distribute duties and functions amongst members of staff from time to time and requests for such changes shall not be reasonably refused.
• In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that all staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
• In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such
information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
Health & Safety:
• The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
• Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
• Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
• Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
• Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
• Reporting potential risks identified.
Equality & Diversity:
• The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
• Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
• Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
• Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights
• The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
• Participation in an annual individual performance review.
• The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
• Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
• Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
• Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
• Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
• Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
Training You'll Receive
Our Business Administrator Level 3 Standard includes modules such as:
- Document Production
- Communication Skills
- Project Management
- Online Safety
- Use of Microsoft
- Interpersonal Skills
- Telephone Skills
- Managing Performance
+ Many more!
You will have access to a laptop and the internet to complete your training whilst in the workplace.
This employer will also be offering tailored training for the role, which includes:
- Reception and Appointment bookings
Desired Skills & Qualities
• The ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Ability to deal effectively with telephone calls
• Good IT skills
• Understand the necessity for confidentiality
• Understand the role of teamwork in providing a quality service
• Understand the importance of accuracy when dealing with patient records, both
• Motivated, enthusiastic and punctual
• Commitment to ongoing development
• Availability to provide cover during periods of sickness and holidays
• Understanding of own behaviour and how this impacts on colleagues, patients and visitors
• Can speak more than one language for example Urdu, Bengali, Arab and Somali
- Age 16+
- Not currently in Education, Employment or Training
- Eligible to work in England
- Looking for a career in administration
- Age 16-18: maths and English at GCSE or Functional Skills or equivalents (grades will be discussed at interview)
- Age 19+: must have maths and English GCSE grade 9 to 4 (A* to C), we also accept Functional Skills Level 2 or equivalent.
- We would like candidates to have some administration experience, although this is not essential
37.5 Hours Per Week, working hours will be negotiated.
National Apprenticeship Minimum Wage
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, there could be further opportunities to develop based on the business needs and your career interests.
Whilst completing this role, you'll be working alongside an experienced team and a vast support network.
After This Apprenticeship
Following successful completion of this apprenticeship, you'll have the opportunity to progress with your career within the business.
You may also want to further your education journey by applying for higher level apprenticeships, further education courses, or University.
This role will also qualify you to progress onto permanent employment within an administration role..
Things To Consider
Please do not contact this employer directly. You must be eligible for the qualification first with the training provider Gordon Franks Training, who will conduct the first interview (apply online or see the ‘contact details’ section). Once successful, your details will then be forwarded to the employer for you to be considered for this vacancy.
Please research us and the employer prior to your interview.