Secure Your Place - Apply Now!

Why an Apprentice Will Boost Your Business

Dec. 16, 2020, 5:29 p.m.
"We believe that hiring apprentices is an excellent opportunity for any business" - Skribes

With recent campaigns from the Department for Education aiming to encourage more businesses to offer Apprenticeships in England, it remains that almost three-quarters of SMEs are still to be convinced about the benefits of taking on an apprentice.

As a training provider, we have first hand experience of how an apprentice can make a positive impact on any business with the right support and training. In 2018 alone, we placed 197 apprentices into small and medium businesses across the West Midlands whilst achieving an 86% apprenticeship success rate.

So why do businesses not consider employing an Apprentice?

Our first guess is that the old perception of an Apprenticeship still stands in some people's minds. In previous years, apprenticeships were viewed as an alternative route for young people who are considering a way out of education. This perception was mainly viewed in a negative light and impacted the popularity of hiring an apprentice.

However, with recent backing from the Department for Education, Apprenticeships are thriving and are now amongst the most popular routes into securing a career. Furthermore, recent reports have shown that there is a significant increase in employers that would prefer to hire someone who has completed an Apprenticeship over someone with a university degree.

Below we have listed our top 5 reasons for why an apprentice will boost your business:

1. Grow your own talent

Employing an apprentice in your business is a great opportunity to grow your own talent. With an Apprentice often starting in a new role with minimal experience or knowledge, you have the opportunity to tailor their learning to meet the exact needs of your business.

2. Build a skilled workforce

In addition to being able to meet your business needs, an apprenticeship can also help you to build a skilled workforce. Whilst on an apprenticeship, your new recruit will complete on and off-the-job training. As an employer, you have the responsibility to provide the required training to your apprentice throughout the duration of their training. With you in control of the training, this allows you to support your apprentice in developing the exact skills that you require them to possess for the role. The Training Provider will also provide your apprentice with an Assessor who is responsible for monitoring their progress and providing them with knowledge and key skills needed to complete their training. As your apprentice will spend the majority of their time in your working environment, they will be able to share their knowledge and new skills with the rest of your workforce.

3. Improve Productivity

According to the National Apprenticeship Service, 76% of employers who employ Apprentices agree they make their workplace more productive. With productivity relating directly to employee morale, attitude and satisfaction of their role; an apprentice can prove that your business is investing in its future and progression. An apprentice may also inspire your team by bringing new ideas and advancements to your way of working!

4. Reduce recruitment costs

Training an apprentice is a cost effective way of bringing new talent into your business. When you decide to take on an apprentice, you will often be connected to a Training Provider who will take care of the recruitment process for you. Here at GFT we focus on matching our candidates personality, experience and skills to the perfect business where we know they will thrive during their apprenticeship.

As of April 2019, if you are an SME who is not paying the Levy, you will only be required to contribute 5% towards the apprenticeship training whilst the government will contribute the remaining 95%. In addition, if you decide to employ an apprentice who is age between 16 to 18, the government will fund 100% of the training.

5. Kick-start someones career

Finally, an apprenticeship can offer a fantastic opportunity to individuals looking to kick start their career. By employing an apprentice you are creating an opening for somebody to develop new skills and gain valuable work experience before progressing in their professional life.

If you would like to find out more information about employing an apprentice, please visit our Employer Information page.

We also have recently updated our Apprenticeship Guide for Employers which you can access via our Employer Hub.