Feb. 8, 2022, 3:05 p.m.
Each month we like to celebrate the achievements of individual Apprentices who have gone over and above to achieve their qualification.
For the month of January we have chosen Sufia Begum as a worthy winner. Sufia has been presented with our Apprentice of the Month award, alongside a £10 Amazon Voucher.
Below, Sufia has provided us with insight into how her Apprenticeship is going, as well as giving advice to anyone considering completing an Apprenticeship to kick-start their career.
1. Tell me a little about why you wanted to complete this apprenticeship -
I would like to complete this apprenticeship because this will allow me to expand my professional network. Before joining this apprenticeship, I had no previous qualifications or experience to work in the office sector. I am sure that by completing this Business Administrative L3 apprenticeship, I would be qualified to apply for office administrative positions.
2. What value has the apprenticeship programme brought to you so far? -
I am able to put my learning into practice and develop important work- related skills such as leadership, communication and analytical thinking.
3. Has it given you what you thought it would, so far– any surprises? -
I have always been keen on finding the right apprenticeship for myself. So far, I am doing well at work as well as with my learning. I have found balancing time for study, work and social life quite a challenge. I am in my late forties with a large family background and commitments - striking the balance between work, study and social life has been a challenge, but not impossible. I believe this apprenticeship has provided me with everything that I thought it would.
4. What would you say to any apprentices considering an apprenticeship programme?
I would say ‘Go for it.’ Apprenticeships are an excellent way of gaining general workplace experience, understanding how a business works, and improving your personal and social skills.
5. What knowledge and skills have your learnt so far on your apprenticeship journey? -
I have been working alongside experienced staffs, building up knowledge, skills and responsibilities which include:
- Answering phone calls, taking messages and connecting calls to proper departments
- Communicating with clients through phones, emails and building positive relationships with them
- Monitoring office supplies and reordering them as needed
- Updating and maintaining records, both on paper and digitally
- Responding to questions and requests for information
- Filing, printing, writing morning briefing reports.
- Conduct interviews
- Update yearly staff contracts
If you are considering completing an Apprenticeship like Sufia, please visit our 'Find an Apprenticeship' page and apply now.